Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Dear iPod, I think I love you.

When I first started running, I didn't bring any music along because I thought it would be distracting. Distracting from what, I wonder now. Distracting from the hyperventilating and the heart nearly exploding? Perhaps a little distraction would have been nice.

I used a kitchen timer for my runs and just tried to focus on not dying to keep myself going. When I finally smartened up and brought my iPod mini along with me, I was totally amazed at how much easier it seemed to run. It was actually even, maybe a little, fun!

Then my mini rebelled. I loved it, it hated me. Whenever I'd take it out of the nice warm house it would start skipping songs and pretending it was out of battery and making crazy blue lines across its black and white screen. Stupid mini. It was so maddening to head out and have it die right in the middle of my warmup walk and I'd have to face the entire rest of my workout with nothing to listen to. I think it was doing it on purpose.

I thought about getting a little refurbished shuffle just to run with so if I dropped it or somethung it wouldn't be any big loss. Andre got me a nano instead for Christmas. I thought it was overkill at first, but then I realized that I could get the Nike sport kit. A gadget! For running! For less than the price of going out to dinner. And it would talk to me with it's soothing lady voice and tell me when I was halfway done with my run. And charts! Telling me exactly how slowly I'm going and how far I've gone. Oh my, I do love charts.

I don't have it yet and I'm going to have to come up with some sort of mod to attach the sensor to my shoe since I like my shoes and refuse to buy brand new Nikes just for the special sensor slot. But I'm still excited.

No comments: