Wednesday, January 3, 2007

The Beginning

I'm 33, fast approaching 34. Since being pregnant with my now 19 months old daughter, I haven't gotten back down to anywhere approaching my ideal weight. I gained 55 pounds when I was pregnant and only 30 of them have come off since then.

I don't want to be the mom who can't keep up with her kids. I don't want to be a mom who sets an example of laziness. I don't want my children or their friends to think of me as a fat mom.

I want to feel sexy again.

I started the Cool Running Couch to 5K program in September of 2006. I've been taking it more slowly than they suggest, mostly because the first time I tried running after years of sloth, I was pretty sure my heart was going to explode. I don't think I've ever in my entire life run three miles and it's my goal to be able to do it regularly, before I'm 35.

My sister is my inspiration. She went from being a weekend jogger to running the LA Marathon in a year. If she can do that, I can certainly suck it up and work toward my 3 mile goal.

I've also joined Spark People and am working on eating more healthfully. Since I've started running, I set the food issue aside thinking I could eat what I wanted since I had upped my exercise. The scale hasn't moved though and I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that I may not be able to eat ice cream after dinner every single night anymore. Damn.

Onward and upward! Or downward, I guess, if you're talking about the scale.

No comments: